Friday, August 14, 2009

CEPT…….Its 5 years now

After passing out from great institution like CEPT in June 2004, I joined Centre for Environment Education (CEE) at Ahmedabad. Worked there for few months and got to work in projects such as SARI and Environment Exhibition Bus. I left CEE job in Feb 2005 and joined Gujarat Infrastructure Development Board (GIDB) at Gandhinagar.

Almost after one year, I got offer from Asia’s biggest IT firm; Tata Consultancy Services Limited. I joined TCS for tourism and environmental projects. For the first two years I worked mainly on tourism projects such as Hadoti Tourism Development Plan, Model project for project formulation for JBIC, Ajanta Ellora Tourism Development Project etc. TCS has given me opportunity for my first international trip to Kuwait. I presented a technical paper in International Conference in Kuwait. This short trip gave me the confidence to concentrate on international projects and opportunities.

Shortly after Kuwait trip, I got chance to work on District Integrated Development Plan for Ethiopia and went to one of the North East countries of Africa i.e. Ethiopia. This was my first trip to Africa and lately I got the opportunity to work in Kenya. The project in Kenya introduced me to mainstream of TCS i.e. IT projects. Then there was no looking back after I started working in SAP EHS (Environment, Health and Safety) module for a Steel Plant in Kenya and I am glad that I have streamlined my career meeting the requirements of both the company; as well as fulfilling my aspirations to work in Environment sector. The culmination has brought out a unique learning for me i.e. learning and implementing the environmental softwares, which is my niche area now.

On personal front; I shifted my base from Ahmedabad to Mumbai. Got married to Aparna on 30th April 2006, she also shifted to Mumbai and joined IL&FS. From 2006 to 2008, we spent good time in Mumbai. In 2008, I shifted my base to Kenya for SAP EHS assignment and Aparna shifted to UK for higher education. In between we met each other at Kenya, UK and India. Now again my job has moved my base to Australia for another SAP EHS assignment. It will still take some time to settle down at one place in India or any other country. Let’s see, what future hold for both of us.

CEPT has given me real confidence and flexibility to work on different nature of projects. I thank CEPT education, which has given me opportunity to work on challenging projects in challenging environment.

After self assessment, I consider following as my major achievements of my career in first 5 years after CEPT Education.

1. Thesis presentation at Institute of Town Planners, India for best thesis award.

2. Technical Paper presentation at International Conference held in Kuwait

3. International Projects at Kenya, Ethiopia and Australia along with other International trips to England, Scotland and Tanzania

4. Short term Environmental courses at IIT Kanpur, IIT Bombay and TERI, Delhi

5. Mainstreaming self into TCS’s business

No comments: