Friday, December 12, 2008

Kasur…………………..My roots

India got independence in 1947 and this great moment brought a lot of devastation also in form of partition. Due to partition, thousand of families moved from Pakistan to India and vice versa. Lot of people got killed on both sides and lot of families lost their properties, close relatives etc. Partition was accompanied by the largest and most rapid population transfer in history, with 17.9 million people leaving their homes. Of these, only 14.5 million arrived, suggesting that 3.4 million went "missing.

My own family had moved from place called Kasur in Pakistan to India. My family including Grandparents first came to Ferozpur in Indian Punjab after facing lot of problems and then finally settled at Kotkapura (at present part of Faridkot district of Punjab). I don’t have my own memories of Kasur, but I heard lot from my grandparents about this small town of Pakistan, which has roots of my family and my grandparents.

We came from Kasur so till date people called us Kasuriye (means family from Kasur) in Kotkapura, so we have Kasur word attached to our family identity, which will never go.

Let me describe today’s Kasur, which is a complete version of Internet library. But if I got chance to visit Kasur in my lifetime, I will write another blog on my real experience of Kasur city.

About Kasur

Kasur is city of eastern Punjab province, Pakistan. It lies on the border of India about 30 miles (50 km) south of Lahore. Traditionally it is said to have been founded by Kusa, son of the legendary Hindu figure Rama. During the Mughal period it was settled by a Pashtun colony and in 1807 was captured by the Sikhs. It was incorporated as a municipality in 1867. It is an aggregation of 26 fortified hamlets (kots) overlooking the alluvial valleys of the Beas and Sutlej rivers. Connected by road with Amritsar and Firozpur and by rail with Lahore and Karachi, it is a local trade centre. Industries include tanning, cotton ginning, oil pressing, weaving, and leather-goods production. Among its institutions are a hospital and a college affiliated with the University of the Punjab.

No comments: